Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Plan

I've recently realized, that no matter how much of a control freak I might be, that someone has a plan. Lately, I feel like this plan has started coming together and I'm excited to see where it takes me.

On Friday morning, I was taking the kids to daycare when my car's computer told me the engine was overheating and it started to shut down. I made it to Savannah's before school program, called Jason to come get Jackson and called AJ to help me out. Thank goodness he was just getting off his shift and was still in town.

Within an hour, Jackson was on his way to daycare and AJ had popped my hood, slid under the car and started taking a look (which was totally hot by the way...seeing a man doing manly things). After a few minutes, he said "Baby, it's your water pump...time to call a tow truck." I did, and in the meantime, we went back to my place so we could wait and I could start working. I'm very lucky to have an employer that has supplied me with the technology needed to work remotely...although, the 4AM emails from my boss can be annoying.

The tow truck driver was able to make it to my car within an hour and took it to the dealer. As I waited to hear the diagnosis, I read my owner's manual and warranty policy. Luckily, my warranty covers the water pump...so praying AJ is right, I was banking on that being it and not being out hundreds of dollars. As I continued making phone calls throughout the day, trying to get the last of the model home permits for Laureate Park cut loose from the City, I was praying that the dealer would find a minor issue and be able to fix it that day. Around noon, I got the call that it was in fact, "the water pump." Yay AJ for being right and Yay warranty for covering it. Even better, the dealer said it would be ready at 4PM...yay...no rental car necessary.

I got to spend some great quality time with AJ while I worked remotely and I was even lucky enough to be with him when he picked his boys up from school. There is nothing better than seeing a man with his children...each child was so incredibly happy to see their daddy...it was so heart-warming.

After picking up my car, I headed to Kissimmee, without my babies, to spend the weekend with my incredible boyfriend and his three sons. It was time to celebrate Jonathan's birthday...his 6th...and first one without both of his parents. Divorce is hard on children, especially when it comes to special events and holidays. So, I was determined to make it special and I planned on making a train cake.

While travelling to Kissimmee...we got stuck in traffic and ended up eating at Buffalo Wild Wings. Dinner was great though and afterward, I took two of the boys to the store with me so AJ could spend some one on one time with the middle one. The boys were great and even wanted to get their Nana some flowers and their Daddy a "thank you for being my daddy" card.

Shortly after arriving at Nana's, I got a text message from Jason. He was coming down with flu-like symptoms and once the heaving started, we decided it was best if I make the trek back to Orlando to get the kids. You see, I knew something would be missing that weekend...especially as each of AJ's boys asked where Jackson and Savannah were and if they'd be there to celebrate Jonny's birthday. This is part of that whole plan thing I was talking about...

We made it back to Kissimmee just in time for Jackson to fall asleep and me to put him in the pack n' play. Savannah stayed up for a bit playing with the other kids and around 9PM, we started the bedtime routine. While Will and Eric got ready for bed and had some downtime in the bunk room, AJ and I had the other kids (Savannah, Jonny and Thea) on the couch...squeezed in between us...and read stories. It was great...and kinda gave me the warm fuzzies.

The next morning we woke up and Nana bought "birthday" donuts for Jonny. As all the kids devoured them, Jackson took his sweet time, spending almost an hour eating his chocolate glazed donut...it was pretty funny. When it was time to start making the birthday cake, Thea and Savannah offered to help. And what great little helpers they were...cracking eggs, pouring oil, stirring the batter. Of course, all of this was rewarded with a few licks of frosting during decorating time later that day. Around lunchtime, we went to the local community pool and spent a great afternoon swimming, diving and sliding. The kids had a blast and so did we. While Jackson was sliding down one of the kiddie slides, I looked toward the deep end, only to see AJ covered in 5 kids keeping each one entertained and showing them a great time.

After pool time, we went back to Nana's where Jackson took a quick nap. Naptime gave me just enough peace to decorate the cake. After dumping a completely frosted cake upside down on the plate, starting all over, and finishing the job...the kids came racing in to see what I was doing...and to lick the spoons.

The rest of the night was spent making homemade pizzas, eating cake and listening to the sweet sounds of laughter as all the children played together. I love being surrounded by such laughter and craziness...in my opinion, having five kids around isn't much different than having two kids. It's all about organization and teamwork...and I think that my superhero and I make a pretty damn good team. Simply put...the weekend was perfect...and Jonanthan had a Happy Birthday...and the plan fell into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment