Monday, August 22, 2011

Mom's Gone Wild - What a weekend!!

This past weekend marked my very first "girls' trip." I never had the ability to go away for weekends with the girls, so I was more than excited when Mom and Rachel came into town on Thursday. The kids and I picked them up at the airport around 6:30 p.m. and headed to Chiptole for a quick bite to eat. When we got home, Pop Pop must've been a little jealous because we ended up skyping for a few minutes so he could see his grandbabies. I know it must be hard for them to live 6 hours away. Maybe one day we'll be much closer and they can really watch Savannah and Jackson grow up.


Friday morning, Mom and I woke up around 5:30 a.m. had a few cups of coffee and then took the kids to daycare. Savannah was excited because it was "field/water day." After working a half day, I was so excited when the girls came to pick me up at the office. We took off straight for Tampa and "Mom's Gone Wild" had begun. Checking in around 1:00 p.m., we quickly unpacked our clothes for the evening and made our first cocktail. We've all come to love the adult version of the "Arnold Palmer," so we made sure we had an ample supply of sweet tea vodka and lemonade. Within an hour and a half...we'd had a few drinks and decided we should probably eat something before we had anything else to drink. We headed to Channelside and ate at one of my favorite little spots...Tina Tapa's.


It was perfect...we each picked two tapas and shared. Plus, we each had a glass of sangria. With a couple of hours until concert time, we decided to grab something sweet, so we went to the chocolate store...and we found heaven...a little too much heaven because after one piece of chocolate, we were all over it. Then...it all started to go down hill...you see, while we waited for the cab, we thought we might as well grab another drink...except, we went to Hooter's. And drank beer...and lost our buzz.

But...the bad times didn't last for long...as soon as we got to the venue, the excitement hit. Although it was hot, we had a great time. All of the acts were amazing...Sara Evans was beautiful and sounded great.

When Rascal Flatts hit the stage, the first song started the show off right. It had a "Blue Man Group" feel to it...as the guys from RF played the drums, lit by gorgeous neon lights. Each and every song seemed to get better and better. After their show, we walked about a mile to catch a taxi. By the time we got back to the hotel room, we were starving...and ordered a pizza. As we waited for it, I crashed...waking only long enough to eat a couple slices of pizza.

The highlight of the Tampa trip ended up being brunch on Saturday. We went to Datz Delicatessen and OMG was the food to die for...and the drinks too. Rachel got a bloody mary which had BACON in it...yes, you read that right...bacon in a drink. She said it was awesome. We each got something savory for brunch and ended up taking bites to taste it all. Nobody was disappointed.

The quick drive back had us home, ready to chill for a few hours. We made an exception to "girl's weekend" on Saturday night so I could introduce Rachel to my super hero (AJ). He came over around 5PM and we sat and chatted for a bit before we headed out to dinner. We ate some fantastic sushi in Baldwin Park and then headed to Big Daddy's for a bit of karaoke. We spent the rest of the night belting out tunes and sucking it up for the other singers. For some reason, it just so happened that EVERY.OTHER.SINGER was awesomely talented. By the time I sang the last song, I had my beer goggles on and could barely read the words on the screen. Thanks to my super hero for driving so the girls could let loose. We had a great time and I know my family is really growing to love AJ for me. They can see how happy he makes me and that makes them happy.

After recovering all day on Sunday, I'm already thinking of when we can book our next Mom's Gone Wild weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment